Website Department of National Defence
- Positions operate heavy construction and engineering vehicles consisting of, but not limited to: road graders;
front-end loaders; bulldozers; backhoes; agricultural tractors; excavators; sweepers; mobile cranes; rig loads;
snow and ice control equipment; snow plows; chemical spreaders; snow blowers; and dump tracks
- Maintains existing gravel roads, clears drainage areas, performs snow clearance and lift heavy objects with cranes or fork trucks.
- Transports personnel and equipment, loads/uploads/ties down heavy equipment on tractor-trailer units.
- Ensures all safety equipment required is available and serviceable. Performs general vehicle maintenance including visual inspections, lubrication, parts replacements as required
- Washing and cleaning of vehicles and regular work areas and performs daily vehicle inspections to maintain optimum performance.
- Maintains trip tickets, operator logs and conveyance documents as required.
- Scheduled hours may be up to 12 hours duration on rotating schedules.
- Willing and able to obtain and maintain a valid departmental driver's license (DND404) that is required to drive on government property.
- Willing and able to obtain and maintain a government of Canada reliability check throughout employment
- Willing and able to work shift work (12 hours); work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must be willing and able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required
- Successful completion of Secondary School Education would be an asset, but not essential
- Possession of a valid AZ driver's license without restrictions from the province of Ontario or other provincial or territorial equivalent.
- Must be able to provide a current driver's abstract from their provincial transportation authority to show evidence of satisfactory, safe driving record for the last 3 years.
- Experience in the operation of a variety of heavy equipment, including but not limited to: dump truck; grader; tractor trailer; front end loader; and bulldozer.
- Experience performing operator inspections and daily maintenance on a variety of heavy equipment, including but not limited to: dump truck; grader; tractor trailer; front-end loader and bulldozer.
- Experience in maintain driver logs, defect sheets and other applicable documentation.
- Experience working in snow and ice controls.
Start date will be determined when candidates are able to obtain approved reliability clearance.